Monday, September 26, 2011

Topic 3 - The Teacher Librarian and the Curriculum

This is an interesting topic for me but also very confusing.  I am not a TL and I am not a full time classroom teacher (I am a relief teacher who goes into a classroom and delivers the program for the day as is laid out for me with all the resources).  I am a recent graduate who has only had 1 contract which was for 2 terms.  This was at an IB school which bases the curriculum on the students being inquiriers where the students had to list their prior knowledge on a topic, formulate their own questions, evaluate the information and build on this new knowledge.  This is what Edutechwiki (2010 Inquiry Based Learning) states "Inquiry learning is not about memorising facts - it is about formulation questions and finding appropriate resolutions to questions and issues".  So basically the teacher is there guiding whilst the students are finding the information and evaluating.

I had not heard of Project-based Learning until I read this topic.  Boss & Krauss (2007) define PBL as "students investigate open-ended questions and apply their knowledge to produce authentic products.  Projects typically allow for students choice, setting the stage for active learning and teamwork".  To me that sounds very much like Inquiry Based Learning!!!!

See why I am confused.  To make it even more confusing, I have come across TL's who do no curriculum teaching except PE. 

I think if and when I am in a classroom on a full time basis, I will have to make the choice and no doubt that choice could be made for me depending on the school.

No comments:

Post a Comment